Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 9 - 6.2.2011 - Shanghai

Today was our first full day in Shanghai. I began the day at the Shanghai Stock Exchange. Then finished up the afternoon at the Jade Buddah Temple. Not much to say as I am exhausted from walking all afternoon, hungry and looking forward to a taste of home at Subway across the street.

I took this at the Shanghai Stock Exchange. A tissue box on a conference table.

My dad and I with the trading floor behind us

One of the many Buddah statues inside the Jade Buddah Temple

A stone lion tied with a lucky red ribbon outside the Jade Buddah Temple


Reclining Buddah made of Jade

Buddhist monks outside the Jade Buddah Temple

I met this "American" while walking along the Bund. He told me a brief history of the Bank of China building along the Bund. After Japan surrendered in World War II, the Bank of China building along the Bund was built. The Peace Hotel, next door, had a problem with this, as the Peace Hotel was the tallest building and didn't want to be beaten in height by a bank. Not sure if he was a veteran or not, but it sounded as if he might have been. He was a very nice old man and spoke very good English. Gave me his card, and I noticed as we got back on the bus that he lives in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment