Friday, March 22, 2013

My Dad - My Amputee Hero - March 2013

Words cannot describe the overwhelming amount of love I have for my father. He has touched so many lives with his kind and giving heart, that he may not even realize. Last November, my father had his right leg amputated; you can read more about why here. Since then, a lot has happened, including a fall, only ten days after surgery, causing him to end up back in the hospital to be cleaned and re-stitched... But my dad is no quitter, he was up "walking" again shortly after, blowing away every doctor and nurse who saw him walk with his walker.

It has been a long, emotional four months for my family. Changes had to be made. But, we have adapted. And I must say, that I feel closer to my parents and my brother than ever before! I am so lucky that I am able to live five minutes from my parents, and have a job flexible enough to let me be there for them, like they have been for me in the past. My mother is an amazing nurse with the heart the size of the entire Milky Way universe, and my father is a 6-foot tall work horse who never gives up, and between the two of them, I have found strength and courage to get me through any challenge that comes my way!

With many, many, many thanks from all of the incredibly intelligent, and caring staff over at Anchor Prosthetics, my dad is learning how to walk again, after only four months!! Not even four whole months at that... after only three months and three weeks my dad is learning how to walk again!! Woot Woot! Go Dad!

I was lucky enough to be there the day he got his new leg, and of course, had to bring my camera to take some photos of this monument event! March 20th was an emotional day for all of us, but this is just the beginning, and I could not be more proud of the both of my parents. They are truly some of the most amazing individuals I have the privilege of knowing, and couldn't be prouder of that stubborn man I call my father!

I love you Dad!


"Check it out, I can cross my legs!"
He said that he felt like an Olympic skier, and had all of us laughing.
Thank you Clint, and Cruz for making all of this possible! You guys are amazing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment