Friday, March 11, 2016

Butte Fire Strong | Calaveras County Wildfire 2015

Zach was at school the night I anxiously watched on the news that a fire had broken out in Mokelumne Hill, approximately 15 miles from his mom's house in Mountain Ranch. At 10 o'clock that night, Wednesday, September 9th, 2015, we made the two hour drive to Mountain Ranch to prepare his mother, Kitty, her cousin Linda, and Kitty's mother Lois for evacuations.

At four o'clock in the morning, Thursday, September 10th, the air was so smokey that it was becoming difficult to breath while sleeping in the van. While in the early morning light, I took a walk around Kitty's property, admiring the vibrant color to the sky, astonished by the towering giants that stood all around the house.
The sun came up, the ash fell faster, and smoke grew thick like fog.
As the morning went on, it became more and more difficult to breathe, and I knew we would have to evacuate that day, and this might be the last time that we see this house, built by Zach's father. (The above bottom right photo is an older photo of the front of the house, and the only one I could find while preparing this blog post.)

By two o'clock that Thursday afternoon evacuations loomed, as the thick smoke exploded throughout the sky.
Zach stood and watched the horizon as the fire crept dangerously close.
"We are not leaving until I see flames come over that ridge!"
The sky changed strange colors, and suddenly we could see flames over the ridge... Time to go!
We stopped in San Andreas to drop off the cats at the shelter before evacuating to Zach's aunt's house in Copperopolis. The above bottom photo was taken from the shelter's parking lot.

We also stopped along the road a few times so I could document the horrific scene that was the 
Butte Fire, including the vista point coming down the hill into Jackson.
We found a hotel in Folsom for Kitty and Linda and the dogs, shoutout to Staybridge Folsom for accepting two little dogs who can be a little noisy sometimes... 
Friday, September 11th, 2015 we found out the house was gone. The house that Zachary's father had built. The house that Zach and his two older brothers grew up in. It was gone.

I am beyond grateful for the firefighters who risk their lives everyday to save homes that belong to complete strangers. It takes a lot of courage, strength, and stamina to do what they do.
The above left photo was found on YubaNet, photographer unknown, was the scene driving into Jackson from Folsom that first night, September 9th. I forgot my camera that night when we first drove to the house, and all the photos I had taken when we evacuated were taken on my iPhone. Twitter and Instagram played a huge part in our evacuations. I had real time tweets and photos from different people as to where the fire was and where it was headed.

By September 13th, the fire began to slow its progression as containment was around 25%.

September 20th was the first time we saw what was left of the house.
Things began to look up during the beginning of October...
October 4th, Kitty was approved for an apartment, paid for by her home owner's insurance policy!
After a month in a hotel, it was time to go shopping, on the insurance company's tab!!
Over the next few months, we would have to drive up to Mountain Ranch for multiple different reasons, and of course I took photos every time!
By December, trees started to come down by PG&E.
The first week in February, the house, foundation, and storage container were all cleaned up and removed by the county.
Green grass began to emerge from the scorched earth, as did the beauty of the daffodils!
February 11th, 2016, exactly five months after the Butte Fire destroyed Kitty & Ben's family home in Mountain Ranch; it had been completely cleaned up, and straw thrown where the house once stood to help deter El NiƱo's nasty grip of Northern California.
Kitty has decided to rebuild, and was extremely fortunate to have fire insurance with her homeowner's policy. However, many around her did not have adequate insurance. Some never had a chance to evacuate their photos and heirlooms, and pets... Many animals had to fend for themselves.

Today, March 11th, 2016, marks six months since the Butte Fire destroyed my mother in law's family home in Calaveras County. It has taught me a lot about my photography, and the documentation it can provide to display progress when you are feeling defeated. I cannot be more grateful that we were able to evacuate, in plenty of time, with almost all photos and all animals accounted for!

You really learn who a person is when you experience multiple difficult times together, and can still find laughter. You learn what is really important in life. You learn that tomorrow is another day, and we can always pick up the pieces and rebuild...

Thank you Zachary for being part of my life and asking me to stand beside you even during all the chaos that is life (and a wildfire)!

October 21st, 2015, he asked me to be his wife, 
off the island of Maui, 
while snorkeling with sea turtles, 
and I said yes!

Always look for the rainbow after a storm!

1 comment:

  1. As I write you this comment I am wiping away the tears from my cheeks it is hard imaging what this is all doing to kitty and the boys! I hope things start to become easier as time passes. When she can watch her new home being built. I hope she can take some comfort in the process of her new chapter in her life. I wish her all the best in the months to come. And that Ben is looking down at his wonderful family and smiling down at them knowing that he's there with them ever step of the way. Kitty I love you. You continue to amaze me on how resilent you are. You will always be my hero. Your sister Andy.

    ReplyDelete